The Condom, The Click and the Wardrobe
63% of Closet Men Browse The Web For Sex
New research from ManCentral.com reveals gay men log on to get off.
Roll back the clock 5 years or so to when Hampstead Heath was a hotspot for illicit encounters with Joe Blogs or George Michael. Nowadays, gay men are more likely to cruise the web than browse the bushes in search of sex.
Members of the free gay cruising website ManCentral.com were asked ‘What is your main reason for using online dating?’ A staggering, 45% of respondents admitted to using the internet for sex. Similarly, only 21% claimed to be in search of a relationship, and even less (8%) were looking for dates.
Unsurprisingly, 63% of men who were not ‘out’ used the internet for sex, in contrast, only 35% of openly gay men were looking for sex. Similarly, bisexual men were the most likely (61%) to look for sex online. Arguably, the internet provides closet cases with the anonymity and convenience to satisfy their desire without the risk of being outed…or arrested.
But are men ditching the bars and clubs for the comfort of their sofa? Apparently not, 52% of regular drinkers, and 45% of social drinkers browse dating websites for sex.
Worryingly, 40% of men who admit to never practising safe sex use dating websites to find a sex. Similarly, 55% of those who ‘sometimes’ practice safe sex log on for sex. Nevertheless, 41% of those who always practice safe sex also join online dating websites for such encounters.
You’d be forgiven for thinking the research shows that single gay men just want sex; but you’d also be wrong. In fact, 70% of married men and 62% of those in a relationship look for sex online compared to only 40% of those who are single, the remaining 60% are online for dating, friendship or a relationship.
- Men who are between 5’3 and 5’6 are least likely to search for sex online.
- Men under 5’3 and over 6’ are most likely to be looking for a relationship - the practical implications of this 7 inch difference are baffling, yet humorous.
- Men who describe themselves as ‘large’ in the trouser department are the most likely (61%) to use websites for sex. In contrast, men who describe themselves as ‘small’ are the most likely to seek a long-term partner.
- Coventry and Middlesbrough are the best places to find a relationship. Whilst members on the south coast, particularly Portsmouth and Brighton, are most likely to search for sex.
Matthew Hodson, Head of Programmes at GMFA, the gay men’s health charity, provided us with his comments:
"The internet is now the most popular place for gay men to find sexual partners. It’s also where a lot of men go to find information on health issues, such as HIV and other STIs. Therefore, it’s important we provide accessible and accurate information online to ensure that men have the information they need to protect themselves and their partners. This is particularly the case for those who don’t identify as gay, as they often have greater information needs and are less likely to access information in gay venues or the gay press."
For more information on sexual health and safer sex, visit GMFA’s website at www.gmfa.org.uk/sex
ManCentral.com polled 3,236 members over a 24 hour period. Detailed statistics & breakdowns available on request. Members who answered the surveys remained anonymous to ensure an honest and accurate response.